Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Psalm 73

This sermon was preached at the Bishop Cridge Senior Center in Victoria, BC on July 22, 2007. Based on Psalm 73, this message examines 1) Asaph's temptation in envying the wicked, 2) how he found relief from this temptation, and 3) the results of being freed from this temptation. In view of the times it is imperative that we as believers maintain a correct understanding from the Lord regarding the ultimate end of the ungodly and the exceeding weight of glory that shall follow the overcomer. Listen below:

Eli Brayley - Psalm 73

Psalm 73
Psa 73:1 A Psalm of Asaph. Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.
Psa 73:2 But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
Psa 73:3 For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
Psa 73:4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.
Psa 73:5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men.
Psa 73:6 Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment.
Psa 73:7 Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
Psa 73:8 They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
Psa 73:9 They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.
Psa 73:10 Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.
Psa 73:11 And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?
Psa 73:12 Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
Psa 73:13 Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
Psa 73:14 For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
Psa 73:15 If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
Psa 73:16 When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
Psa 73:17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
Psa 73:18 Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
Psa 73:19 How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
Psa 73:20 As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.
Psa 73:21 Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.
Psa 73:22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
Psa 73:23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
Psa 73:24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
Psa 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
Psa 73:26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.
Psa 73:27 For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring
from thee.

Psa 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

2 comments:

Micah and Katie said...

I LOVE this Psalm! It has helped me numerous times this year! I love it when Asaph says: "I was like a beast before the Lord", hahaha. I have felt like that sometimes when I am selfish and tired and envying the people who seem to have it all but don't live for God. Then he perceived their end...

Then it breaks out into that great song:

Whom have I in heaven but thee? There is none on earth I desire beside thee.
My heart and my flesh
Many times they fail
But there is one truth that always will prevail
God is the strength of my heart,
God is the strength of my heart,
God is the strength of my heart,
and my portion forever

Later Eli! Micah

Marie-Hélène said...

Hey Eli! man do you ever look like Ben in that picture. Maybe not Ben, but definitely grown up! You are a true man of God my friend. when will you be coming back through the Maritimes? We'd love to see you :) All the best, brother!