Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ministry Update: Four Stitches in Upper Lip

Dear friends, last night I got punched in the face by an angry college student and had to be taken to the hospital. I received four stitches in my upper lip, my gums are cut up and my teeth are sore, but thank the Lord nothing is broken and I am recovering well.

We were doing outreach down on the main party street in Isla Vista Friday night, and at the time I wasn't even preaching. I had talked with my attacker earlier and he became extremely angry because I was showing him what the Bible said about his sin, and he was under conviction. He grabbed me by the collar but his friends held him back. After he had left I thought he was gone, and I started to talk with another student. About three minutes later he came out of no where and punched me right in the mouth. He hit me so hard I was thrown backwards to the ground and blacked out for a second. I didn't even see him coming, but Miles told me later that he saw him run straight out of the crowd and delivered a full blown punch to me. I was bleeding pretty bad, down my jacket and on the ground.

I am honored to shed my blood for my Lord Jesus. "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." (Matthew 5:12) Praise God. What's great is that the Christian community here in Santa Barbara were stirred and encouraged by this incident, and I am so thankful for their loving kindness in praying for me and getting me to the hospital. We also prayed for the young man that hit me, that he might be saved! I forgive him; may the Lord also forgive him and rescue his soul. Please pray for the expenses I must now pay. American hospitals charge for their services and I am not insured, being a Canadian citizen, and it is very expensive. "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)

Praise the Lord for His protection. We must never cease to be the light in the dark places despite whatever trials come up against us. No matter how hard, no matter how dangerous, let the Name of Jesus Christ be glorified in us to all the world! God bless, dear saints.

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh." (2 Corinthians 4:6-11)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We pray for the people that heard the Gospel last night, the young man that got so angry to hit you, and for you to be taken care of brother Eli.

God bless

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!!!

Greg
www.sermonindex.net

Adam O said...

Eli,
I am praying that you will heal quickly. Also praying for the young man that hit you.
Peace brother,
Adam O

Anonymous said...

If it takes getting punched in the mouth for a soul to be saved, it's well worth the price...

Anonymous said...

Your practices are very radical. This young man does not need saving, you do. Praise Allah

Anonymous said...

Hey Eli,
I am sorry that you got punched in the face.


Your cousin William.

Anonymous said...

Hey Eli, It's your uncle Tony. Thanks to William I came across what you've been doing. I have large respect for you and how you're handling the reception you're receiving from many of the students. But when I read that my nephew gets sucker-punched it hurts. I know you don't want to hear this but if I was there when it happened, there probably would've been two going to the hospital. Well, God bless you and when you have a moment, drop us a line: abrayley@sympatico.ca Make sure to keep us posted on how things are going Eli. Love you.
Uncle Tony.

Anonymous said...

Yo yo yo. Go for it! May this strip bring you more authority. Receive the wounds with a smile ^_^. Suffering for Christ is not for the weak! Run your race! May each strip give you more grace to run harder and faster.
I pray that the Lord add MORE power and MORE conviction to your words. Because our gospel is not one of words but of POWER!

May the Lord restore to YOU the power of conviction, in Jesus name.

Be encouraged, America needs the fire again; we have EVERYTHING else but that.

If our words do not come with power, do we really believe?